Here’s a second post for the work I did on my book over the past week. The story itself is now fully illustrated and I’m just working on the artwork for the cover and beginning pages. I also had a couple of random loose ends to tie up… little scraps and bits and bobs because I often will make all of the visual elements of a page on separate pieces of paper. Here’s a good example of what I mean:
They probably make very little sense to you now, but everything will fit together eventually…I hope.
Here’s a little spot illustration that I made for what will become the dedication page:
The image is of creamed eggs, which is a Christmas breakfast tradition in my family passed down from my Dad and I think my Grandma before that. The dedication message will read:
“For Christmases Past, Christmases Present, & Christmases Yet To Come.”
It probably also has a lot to do with my own personal backstory of finally overcoming and reclaiming the Christmas holiday after years of associating it with the deaths of my loved ones, pain, regret, and disappointment. Then again, this entire book probably has a whole lot to do with my own experiences and issues at least on a subconscious level. Pretty much all stories and works of art inadvertently capture their creator…I think that’s pretty unavoidable.
I also drew out what will become the title page of my book. This was the first version that I came up with; the direct scan of the original:
After I somewhat haphazardly colored this, I decided that I would have preferred the word Krampus to be in red ink to better stand out against the sooty hoof prints. I also wanted my own name smaller and scooted down a little on the page. Luckily there’s this thing that I never use and always forget exists called Photoshop so I didn’t have to redraw anything! Martyn helped me alter it into this version, which I like much better:
I’m both dreading and really looking forward to the whole text formatting process once all the illustrations are complete. Dreading because I know that it’s gonna be a lot of tedious work and I really don’t know what the heck I’m doing, but also looking forward to it because Martyn is going to help me out and then it will finally all be done! Martyn is actually going to be doing the majority of the formatting and layout stuff himself. I’ve had the flow and layout of the book at least generally figured out all along when I made the storyboard and planned out each illustration, and that should make everything go a lot more smoothly…but he’s the one who’s going to do all the final rearranging. I plan on crediting him as the layout guy on the copyright page when everything is said and done.
Oh, and just for kicks I also got that storyboard page that I’ve been using for my book scanned so that I could post it here on my blog:
A lot of those thumbnail sketches used to just look scribble, but it’s really exciting and satisfying to realize that now nearly all of them have been brought to completion!