Hope y’all had a happy ‘Merica Day! I finished up that illustration of Bertha on Sunday night, so here’s some final work in progress pictures I took of the coloring process as well as the final piece.
First, here’s where I left off in my last post after I was all done with the inking:
Then I started blocking in some color with my trusty Prismacolor markers.
Added some more layers of color.
Even more layers still, scribbling some dark navy blue shadows into the leaves for that extra richness and depth.
I honestly didn’t take that many photos. Whoops. Here it is pretty much finished on my art desk.
Here’s the final scan.
I probably mentioned this in my last post, but the reason I made this illustration was for some promotional postcards that I plan to get printed from overnightprints.com to send along with the snail mail submissions of my children’s book. I just dropped off the files for my book at Office Depot yesterday to get the first round of five dummies printed for the publishers, which should be finished by the end of this week. I can’t wait to see them! For the back of the postcards I will most likely be using the same old world fairytale font style as we did in “Kris & Krampus Kringle”; perhaps with a spot illustration of some toadstool mushrooms for an extra little accent. I might try and figure out that part out tonight. Till then, be safe, and watch out for any remaining patriotic explosions!